The History of Black Canyon Inn
In 1927 the first structure, a small log guest house, was built. This original cabin is available for rent as the Columbine Cabin. In 1929, Charles Chapman built the beautiful log structure at the center of the property, as a home for the Wayne Stacey family. Both structures were built out of rough cut logs from the nearby forest and stand on natural foundations of moss covered stones.
In 1965 Dr. Curry Meyers bought the ranch and started to develop it as the Meyers 3M Guest Ranch. At this time, he remodeled the interior of the main building to make it a restaurant. He also built a two story lodge building to the north of the restaurant as his home. This building was replaced in 2014 by a new building that houses four condos and a multi-purpose event space.
The 3M Guest Ranch name did not last long. Bill Meyers, a friend of Curry Meyers, suggested that it be named the Black Canyon Inn for its location and views of the Black Canyon, over MacGregor Ranch, in the Rocky Mountain National Park. Since that time, there have been several other owners, notably Don and Ev Leonard.
Jim Sloan purchased Black Canyon Inn in 1992, and all of the older guest cabins were replaced by the current 6 lodge buildings. These buildings house the 28 vacation rentals available for guests’ and owners’ use. The development of the property was done with respect to the natural and original placement of trees, boulders and wildlife. The property maintains the secluded and inviting atmosphere that drew the Stacey family here years ago.
Another beautiful addition to the Black Canyon Inn was the covered Wedding Pavilion which held its first official ceremony on July 1, 2009. Since then, the wedding business has continued to grow each year — few can say no to the view that we have of Lumpy Ridge from the beautiful Pavilion! In 2017, Jim Sloan decided to retire and the property is now under new management that will continue to carryout the beloved tradition.